Monday, March 27, 2006

The Evens - live at the Riverside Club, Glasgow

It was raining the sort of Glasgow rain that I love as I walked up the hill to my flat this evening. Cool, heavy, large drops of rain that are somehow comforting and cleansing. It was a good rain because it helped to wash away the blood from the random acts of violence that I had just witnessed at Hillhead underground station. Two or three young guys with large head wounds, bleeding heavily. Ten to fifteen more blokes in their early twenties shouting abuse at each other. I kept my head down and walked past. The chaos brought me back to reality a bit after the fucking brilliant concert that I had just been to.

The evens are a two piece alternative rock band featuring ian mackaye of fugazi/minor threat and amy from the warmers. They play protest music and love songs, kinda like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez. Except different.

Ian Mackaye is a great front man. In fugazi (who I have seen live 3 times) he is hidden behind a wall of noise and he shares the spotlight with Guy (another great frontman). In the evens, Mackaye is naked, exposed without a wall of feedback. The audience at this show contained around 100-150 people and Mackaye made an effort to look everyone in the eye and make everyone interact. The crowd was taught parts of songs and encouraged to sing along. On the last song everyone in the room was forced to whistle. Whistle anything. Birdcalls, even. It was sublime.

The music of the evens is powerful; simple and dramatic. Dynamic with warm, fuzzy tones and reverb on the drums. The songs are pretty too - it's all downhill from here is the refrain of one song that Mackaye explains is about those times in life when you realise that you are in a perfect moment. This show was life-affirming. It reminded me that all the shit, the fucked up relationships and the grind of work is just a part of life. This show reminded me of the beauty of good music and good experiences.

I enjoyed it.

Getting to the gig was a bit of an experience. My mate and I walked down the Broomielaw and all of Clyde street looking for the venue. Our tour almost took us directly into a small group of junkie neds that we managed to avoid. We had a quick look at some of the grubier parts of the city centre that I normally try and avoid.

So tonight has been beautiful and ugly. Like life

Phunky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i found out about that gig the day after it happened and am really pissed i missed it. love that band, love that man.

drphunk said...

Iain Mackaye is my hero