Sunday, March 19, 2006

Film review - v for vendetta

I first read the v for vendetta comic in 1990. I quite liked it then although I guess that I may not have fully understood all the issues and themes that were dealt with in the story. The Alan Moore/David Lloyd comic book was originally serialised in the British Warrior comic magazine in the earlier '80s before being finished for DC comics in America after Warrior was cancelled.

The story is very much of its time. It was written during Thatchers conservative government and was inspired by a fear of the erosion of civil liberties in conservative Britain. In the intervening 20 years v for vendetta is still relevant.

V is an anarchist, inspired by Guy Faulks who challenges the fascist British state that has exterminated homosexuals, muslims and political trouble-makers. Eve is a young television assistant who is drawn into his world. Stuff is blown up.

The film captures the spirit of the comic book. The story is as I remember it (although I haven't read it in about 10 years) and the film looks like the comic. David Lloyd was, I believe, asked to provide production design and the film captures the gloomy tones of his art.

I don't think this film will be a commercial success. It is wordy and at times it can feel like a lecture. It has some good action sequences and some worthy ideas. It is not a load of pish like the Matrix films or similar action features. There is an intelligent heart and message beneath the fancy cinematography. I feel that they have made a good film that is a fair adaption of the comic.

What would I change? I would lose the annoying electronic dance music on some of the action sequences. That was the only thing that pissed me off. The script is a bit clunky but I feel that to change the dialogue (especially that of V) would destroy the personality of the story.

The film has had some bad reviews but I would predict that it will find a market on DVD. Recent world events make some scenes uncomfortable viewing but art (if this is art) should not always be comfortable. Comic geeks have bitched and moaned about slight changes to the source material but as a self-confessed geek none of the changes upset me too much. Alan Moore has disowned the film but he hasn't seen it so I am not too worried about that. I love Alan Moore but he has very fixed opinions that do not mix well with Hollywood.

My friends who went to see this film expected it to be shit and came out saying that it was good. It was better than I thought it would be. People should see it.

8 out of 10

phunky

No comments: