Saturday, March 04, 2006

Unfortunate racist taxi driver

Had a horrible day at work yesterday. Very busy and lots of distressing stuff going on. I was getting a taxi home late in the evening and I was picked up by one of the most ignorant, racist idiots that I have met in a while.

The taxi driver seemed normal at first. But he wasn't. He just suddenly started talking nonsense.

'See these bloody asian taxi drivers we've got here. A lot of them have two jobs.' My response was along the lines of 'I have a lot of respect for anyone who is willing to work two jobs to earn money'. I do not think he expected this response.

He started complaining that many taxi drivers working at the same company as him also owned shops. He felt that this was wrong. I pointed out that if a man is willing to work that hard to support his family he is probably a good man. He then told me that these shop owners often employed young people to work in their shops and didn't pay them very much. I pointed out that you don't normally get paid very much when you work in a shop and that I was paid very little when I worked in somerfield, kwik save and sports division years ago.

This all confused him.

He then went into a strange rant about how the government was importing asylum seekers to steal our jobs. I told him that it was my belief that the government made it illegal for asylum seekers to work (I might be wrong in this - I'm not sure). He stated that he was sure that asylum seekers were working in various improbable places. I encouraged him to report this to the police or the council in the vague hope that he would annoy them enough to be placed on some sort of 'racist looney' watch list.

The guy just seemed to have a lot of trouble thinking. I don't think he was used to having his small minded views challenged by a white guy. It was a weird, uncomfortable situation. I guess I should have asked him to stop the car and phoned for another taxi so I wouldn't have to put up with any more bigoted bullshit but it was a cold night and I was tired. I just hope that by arguing with him a bit he'll think about his caveman like ideas before he annoys someone else with them.

I feel sorry for this asshole. If you decide to hate an entire section of humanity because of the colour of their skin you are a complete fucking numpty. I would imagine that it takes a hell of a lot of time and energy. It probably takes most of his brain-power too.

The taxi driver that drove me to work this morning was much nicer.

Rant over

Dafunk

No comments: